Friday, June 3, 2011

Lady Bug Decorations

A friend asked to help her with some things for her daughter's first birthday. I didn't have alot of time to contribute, but I came up with these two quick projects.

 Directional Signs

The idea for these guys were to be signs to point the guests to the party, without giving away to much information such as the address or child's name. Guests were told to look for the ladybugs. One was at the entrance to the complex, one each on the front and back door. I made them from cardboard and acrylic paint. I painted them freehand, so they are not all perfect, but since they would not be side by side, it didn't matter. They are quite sizable, I used the lid from a paper box. Easily seen from a distance. I think the middle one is my favourite.

Leaf cupcake flags
These little guys are so easy to make and look adorable. 
Materials:
  • toothpicks
  • green paper
  • red dot stickers
  • black marker
  • glue stick


 Cut out a leaf shape from green paper.

 Add some red dots (the body of the lady bug)

 Draw on the details with black marker.

Add a bit of glue and roll the stem of the leaf around the toothpick.

Of course, try not to touch the pointy end of the toothpick, or wear gloves. It's easy to whip up alot of these in a very short period time. I made a dozen in about fifteen minutes.
If you are considering a theme for a young child's party, especially if that party is in a backyard or park I encourage you to use a ladybug theme. There is so much available online-free printables, games, activities etc. If you can't find ladybug decorations, they are easy to make. Or simply use red/black/green as your colour scheme.

3 comments:

  1. Once again Mary, you have showed your talent, creating something out of not much! I love the ladybug flags!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You called them cupcake flags, but I would use them for so many different foods: cheese cubes, olives, pickles, meats - any finger foods.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course you could use them for anything you like. Very versatile.

    ReplyDelete