Monday, December 13, 2010

Photo Frame Christmas Ornaments



Supplies:
  • small photo frames
  • old greeting cards/ scraps of wrapping paper
  • pencil
  • cutting tools-such as paper cutter, scissors or xcato knife
  • hot glue gun and glue sticks
  • 1/4 inch satin ribbon
In keeping with the theme of re-using things I already own to decorate for Christmas, I made these cute little photo frame ornaments on Saturday. You may recognize the silver frames-they were the place cards/guest favour at my wedding. I originally bought these ones online from a wedding favour site, but I have seen them at Solutions and Kitchen Stuff Plus. You might find some at the dollarstore/craft store. For reference, they are about 2.5 by 2 inches.



This is a very easy and quick craft. My plan was to use scraps of wrapping paper-but it turned out only one pattern was the right scale for the frame. It happens to be the pattern I used for the "table cloth" in last week's post. So, I scrounged up some old greeting cards from last year with fun graphics to fill in the other frames.



Step one: isolate what area of the paper or card you want to frame. I took apart the frame and moved it around until I was happy with the image. Next mark the edges with the pencil. I used my small paper cutter to quickly trim the image to fit inside the frame.




Step two: flip the frame over. You can see the magnet at the back. I attached a small piece of satin ribbon to the back to make a loop, with my glue gun. You need about an inch or so for each frame. This ribbon was a scrap I saved from a gift box last year. Attach the ribbon at the top of the frame for portrait, or at the side for landscape-depending on the image you choose.




Step three: Put the frame back together, and there you go! There are so many options, you can customize the image to suit your decor.

Many people I know like to alternate themes from year to year. Keep the frame and swap out the image. Why not photocopy family pictures in black and white? Sure to be a conversation starter at Christmas dinner. It's also a nice way to commemorate a special event such as a wedding, a new house or baby's first Christmas. I am going to keep this idea going and change the images from year to year.

No comments:

Post a Comment