Thursday, February 17, 2011

Felt Sweet Pea Name Tags/Magnets


Materials:
  • Green felt (made from recycled bottles)
  • Pompoms
  • Embroidery floss and needle
  • Glue gun and glue sticks
  • Craft magnets


To make the peas-I folded a sheet of bright green felt, and cut a crescent moon shape retaining the folded edge. I did this to save myself time sewing. I made 26 peas total, I only used one sheet of felt for the whole project. Once I had all the shapes cut out from the felt, I stitched up the sides and a little bit along the top. This forms a sort of basket shape. I hot glued 2 or 3 pom poms into each. I flipped them over and hot glued a small piece of magnet to the back-so the guests could take them home and use them as a fridge magnet.


This project started as a party favour, but at the last minute was transformed into both a favour and name tags for the guests. Shortly before the baby shower, one of the guests mentioned to me she really didn't know most of the people attending and that she was really bad with names. So rather than buy paper name tags that would be thrown out at the end of the party I added names to the peas I already made.


I typed up all the names of the guests, printed them out and cut them into little rectangles. I attached the names to the felt with a small piece of double sided tape. I made sure the tape came off cleanly. As a final touch, I added a safety pin. Guests wore them at the party, it was a cute way to add to the sweet pea theme.

2 comments:

  1. I love the double duty of these; they can continue being functional after the original reason :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you thought about using baby safety pins? (The ones you use for cloth diapers?)

    ReplyDelete